This image can be used commercially
Chaucer Schools, Ilkeston
Holdsworth, George and Son
Lower Chapel Street
About this image
This photograph is from a booklet, published by G Holdsworth. Looking from the NW. Lower Chapel Street is on the left and Cranmer Street is on the right. A temporary school was opened on 14 Feb 1887 in the Old Primitive Methodist Chapel on Chapel Street. The 'new' school was opened in Sept 1889 with Arthur W Haggitt as Head, and 4 assistants. A girls' school extension was opened in 1894. Following the summer holidays of 1929, the school re-opened as a junior school; older pupils having been transferred to Gladstone Schools. The juniors moved to a new building, off Cantelupe Road. The old building was demolished around 1980, and the site subsequently used for housing.