This image can be used commercially
Trowell Forge, off Nottingham Road, Trowell, c 1975
Off Nottingham Road
About this image
This is the former Blacksmith's premises at Trowell Forge, viewed from the North West. In the background, on the left, are nos. 89 and 87, Ilkeston Road, Trowell. The Forge was built in 1873-74 by Nottingham Ironmongers D. New & Co.. It is believed to have closed permanently by 1893. The 1900 Ordnance survey map reveals that the works were disused by that date. It was located between the River Erewash (on the Trowell side of the border) and the main Erewash Valley Railway Line, near Trowell Junction and was connected to the main line by a loop of sidings. A track ran directly south across a small bridge over the River Erewash, linking the works with the Erewash Canal. This remnant shown here is believed to have been used in the early 20th century by J S Cook & Co. The building was demolished in 1975.