This image can be used commercially
Beardsley, J N
7 February 1974
About this image
Situated at the junction of Wharncliffe Road and Albert Street, this was Ilkeston's first purpose built Police Station. It was built in 1906 by Lovatt of Nottingham, to a design by H J Kilford, Ilkeston Borough Surveyor and his Assistant Surveyor H Raven at a cost of £4,082. The Wharncliffe Road frontage was of pressed brick work, with Rowsley stone dressings. The building is enclosed in a Bulwell stone wall. By the late 20th century the building was totally inadequate for it's purpose. From September 1998 it was replaced by a new building on the site of the former Ilkeston North railway station on Heanor Road. This view is taken from the North West.