This image can be used commercially
Bethel Street, Ilkeston, 1974
Beardsley, J N
7 February 1974
About this image
Nos. 1, 2 and 3 (left to right) Bethel Street, viewed from the south west (Chapel Street). The street, originally called Beniston Place, took its name from the Bethel Mission of the United Methodist Free Church (to the left, below No. 1). In February 1927, No.1 was the scene of the murder of Ada Knighton, whose son William (22) was subsequently tried, convicted and executed - some say wrongly. The street latterly acquired the nickname 'Little Dustpan' after the Ironmongers of that name which stood on the lower corner at No. 123 Station Road, owned in 1899 by Thomas Beniston. (Additional information very kindly supplied by John Beniston).