About this image
Looking from the top of the chimney of a Leopold Street factory. The municipal cemetery in the foreground developed as a response to the increase in population of the town during the Victorian period. Long Eaton Cemetery accepted its first burial in 1884 and was finally closed to new burials in 1998. (There is still room for ashes interments and burials in existing graves.) It has a grade II listed mortuary chapel building which can be seen on the left of the picture. West park is also to the left of the picture. Stanhope Street is in the foreground and Trent College is in the distance. Note that the house at the end of Lime Terrace, by the gates to one of the entrances of West Park , is no longer there, and has since been replaced by a nursery.