About this image
View east, showing Manor House (left of centre) and White Cottage. Abbey House lies on the far side of Manor House. Dale Abbey was a house of Premonstratensian Canons founded in 1204. They dedicated the Abbey to St Mary. This was after 3 previous groups had tried and failed to set one up. It was medium sized, housing an abbot plus 23 canons. In 1538, during Henry the VIII's Reformation of the monasteries, the site was sold to Francis Pole of Radbourne. Only the arch (17 ft.) of the great east chancel window remains, and was probably late 13th century. The chapter house on the east side is still recognisable and the old Infirmary and Chapel, seen in DRBY002054. Local legend has it that Alan a' Dale of Robin Hood's 'Merry men' came from this village and that Robin Hood and Maid Marian were married here (doubtful! as they are supposed to have been married at Edwinstowe). Legend also has it that in the 12th century a baker saw a vision in which he was told to leave his work and his home and become a hermit in Depedale (the old name for the area). Having done so a knight took pity on him and paid for the building of a chapel. Further, a woman, known as the 'Gome of the Dale', subsequently took pity on him, extended the chapel and persuaded her nephew to found an abbey nearby. Copy of a postcard published by Bestwick, Ilkeston.