This image can be used commercially
Cat and Fiddle Windmill, Dale Abbey
27 September 1962
Cat and Fiddle Lane
About this image
A preserved windmill at Cat and Fiddle Lane in Dale Abbey, photograph possibly taken from the north east. This post mill dates from 1788 or earlier; the stone roundhouse, of brick and local sandstone, was added in 1844. The mill was not raised and to allow free access below the crosstrees the floor was constructed below ground level. The lower cross tree and main post were renewed in 1895. John Porter was miller by the mid-19th century, he was succeeded around 1870 by Stephen Smedley, who was followed by his son, George. On the sale of Earl Stanhope's estates in 1912 the mill was acquired by the Stanton Ironworks Co. Ltd., who owned it until its sale to M. Richardson in 1982. The mill worked until 1952 and so on the death of George Smedley in that year it was taken over by his widow, Marjorie (Peggy).