This image can be used commercially
Charlotte Street, Ilkeston
Mr L Wood
c 1920's-30's ?
About this image
The north side, looking east towards Cotmanhay Road, The London North Easton Railway (LNER), the roofs of Nesfield Terrace and over to the Erewash Valley. On the left are no's 4 and 4a. The iron railings here were removed for scrap during World War 2. The 3 storey building was built in 1897 as a warehouse for Joseph Hickman, a smallware dealer. The shop with the canopy was Austin's butchers (now demolished), which was popular with local children for the series of glazed ceramic tiles under the windows, depicting the story-rhyme of 'This is the house that Jack built' (see DCER000317). Further down the hill is the public house 'Live and let live'.