This image can be used commercially
Opening ceremony of Ilkeston Library
24 August 1904
About this image
Looking south-east, (railings have yet to be erected and there is no War Memorial). It appears to show Bandmaster T. Wardle conducting the Borough band and schoolchildren. It was opened by the Duke of Rutland. A library for the town had first been suggested as far back as 1879 but it was not until after a gift of £7500 by the Scottish-American industrialist Andrew Carnegie, that the library became a reality. The stone panel above the entrance bears the words 'Carnegie Free Library'. The Library was built in brick by Hunter and Woodhouse of Belper, with decorative Art Nouveau stone panels between the small windows under the eaves.