About this image
Elevated view over the southern part of Ilkeston. The photographer has climbed the tower of St Mary's Church in the Market Place and is looking south-west. Front right is the Library, which looks very new, having opened on 24 August 1904. To its left is the Church Institute, dating from 1884, and then heading off leftwards is Market Street with the gable-end of C. & F. Sudbury's hosiery and glove factory (later Rutland Garments). The same firm's warehouse stands opposite the mill on the corner of Coronation Street. Immediately to the right of this is Cricket Terrace, a reminder that there was once a cricket ground here, and next to that - with its pyramidal-shaped roof - is what had been Ilkeston's first Methodist chapel, then in use as a stable. On the right in the distance are the headstocks of Oakwell Colliery. Of interest in the foreground is fairground equipment, which suggests the taking of this image coincided with the annual Ilkeston Charter Fair, held (since 1888) during the third week of October. A dating of October 1904 for this view thus seems reasonable.