This image can be used commercially
Church Street, Ockbrook, c 1930 ?
c 1930 ?
About this image
Copy of a commercial postcard with All Saints Church on the left with its lych gate and the White Swan public house to the right of centre. Looking south-east.
Picture the Past website contributor Ron Stringer adds: 'The first house on the right was 27 Church Street where the resident was a man who served in the Royal Garrison Artilliery in the First World War. One of the siege batteries he served in was at Messines Ridge when the 21 mines placed under German lines were detonated. He was a gunlayer but it is not known if he ws present when the mines exploded. When he died his probate record stated Robert William Hewlitt or Hewlett or Bill or Bob Green - the name Green came from the woman who fostered him; she was believed to have been a midwife.'