Geraldine Holland, Photographer
Parsonage Croft - Cunningham Place
About this image
The Old House museum in Bakewell is situated in Cunningham Place behind All Saints Church. It is in the oldest standing building in Bakewell (dating from 1534). It houses a small exhibition of local life and artefacts. It was built by Ralph Gell of Hopton, (near Wirksworth). The building is a typical yeoman's house of the 16th century and belonged originally to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. At one time it was leased in 1777 by Richard Arkwright to house workers for the mill he built in the town. By 1935 the house was in a state of disrepair and was due to be demolished when it was saved in 1954 by the Bakewell and District Historical Society and restored. The exterior is of local sandstone but the interior walls are of wattle and daub.