About this image
Showing the Green Man and the Black's Head Hotel. The mid Georgian hotel, seven bays long. The present inn was built in 1750, and is actually the result of two separate inns joining together. The Green Man has its origins in the Jack o'the Green, the main figure in medieval May Day festivities, put to death and then restored to life to comfort his disconsolate May Queen. The Blackamoor's Head was originally the site of Wigleys shoe shop, and often shortened to the Black's Head. The name originated from the 16th century, perhaps referring to Shakespeare's Othello. The inn was possibly once owned by Sir Walter Raleigh, but at the beginning of the 19th century it was bought by the landlord of the Green Man and amalgamated onto one site. It was frequented by Rev Taylor (owner of the Mansion) and his friend, Dr Johnson and his biographer James Boswell, who thought it 'a very good inn'. The hotel can be found in the Guinness Book of Records because of the length of it's sign. The full name of the hotel is 'The Royal Green Man and Blackamoor's Head Commercial and Family hotel'.