About this image
The facade of the Mansion house dates to the mid 18th century, and was added to a late 17th century structure by Rev. John Taylor who occupied the house between 1740 and 1787. It is three storeys and five bays long, and has a Venetian window and Tuscan porch facing onto the street. Rev. Taylor was a great friend of Dr Samuel Johnson, the famous lexicographer, who often visited him at the Mansion. In the 1840s William Webster Esq, an ancestor of Dr John Taylor, who was living in the house, died. As Webster was the last representative of the Taylor family, the house was subsequently leased out to Captain Henry Folliott Powell.