This image cannot be used commercially
Aerial view showing Little Hallam Hill area, Ilkeston, 1971
22 September 1971
About this image
Looking north with Little Hallam Hill running across the lower part of the picture and becoming Ladywood Road at the extreme left. St Norbert Drive/Godfrey Drive, Kirk Hallam intersects at the point of transition. The railway line bridged in the centre is the ex-Midland Railway Stanton & Shipley branch, then in use solely to serve the opencast disposal point at West Hallam but since closed and converted into the Nutbrook Trail. The pool above this is a former reservoir known locally as The Beauty Spot, while running parallel with the railway to the left is the overgrown course of the Nutbrook Canal (closed in 1895). To the right is the remains of the ex-Great Northern Railway Stanton branch (closed in 1968) with the bridge over Little Hallam Hill here recently demolished. The industrialised area at the top of the view is Oakwell Brickworks. Spinney Road, Derbyshire Drive and Dale View are at top right.