This image cannot be used commercially
Aerial view showing Rutland Street area, Ilkeston, 1970
8 October 1970
About this image
Looking north-west with Rutland Street running from the bottom of the picture (left) towards its junction with Bath Street. The latter continues as Heanor Road in the direction of top right, bridging the remains of the ex-Great Northern Railway Ilkeston North railway station (closed to passengers in 1964 and goods in 1968). Immediately to the left of Rutland Street is the partly redeveloped site of the ex-Midland Railway Ilkeston Town station (closed to passengers in 1947), the terminus of a short branch from Ilkeston Junction on the main Erewash Valley line. Much later, this particular site was redeveloped a second time to accommodate a Tesco supermarket. To the right of Rutland Street is the remains of Ilkeston Gasworks with its retort house and one gasholder remaining.