About this image
Looking north-east - the houses in the far distance are in Robinettes (sic) Lane. The footbridge takes a footpath that runs southwards from Mill Lane, Cossall towards Trowell over the disused canal and was a replacement for an earlier swing bridge at this point. In the foreground is the remains of a stop gate, used to close off sections of the waterway for maintenance.
The Nottingham Canal extended from the River Trent at Nottingham in a generally north-westerly direction for 14.7 miles (23.6 kilometres) via Lenton, Radford, Wollaton, Trowell, Cossall, and Awsworth to Langley Mill where it connected with the Cromford and Erewash Canals. Its main purpose was the movement of coal from mines in the Erewash Valley to Nottingham. Opened in 1796, it was later acquired by the Great Northern Railway but, apart from the Nottingham-Lenton section (which was transferred to the Trent Navigation Company and, via its link with the Beeston Canal, remains in use today), it was abandoned in 1936.