About this image
The Robbinetts Arm was a short branch off the Nottingham Canal between Trowell and Cossall and was connected via tramways to a number of small collieries. While these closed quite early on, the arm remained important as it functioned as a means of water supply to the main line of the canal, being fed from ponds in Oldmoor Wood, near Strelley.
This view is looking south-east towards the culvert carrying Cossall Road / Dead Lane over the arm; there was formerly a swing bridge here. The spillway in the foreground provides an overflow from the canal into a nearby drain and looks newly reconstructed.
The Nottingham Canal extended from the River Trent at Nottingham in a generally north-westerly direction for 14.7 miles (23.6 kilometres) via Lenton, Radford, Wollaton, Trowell, Cossall, and Awsworth to Langley Mill where it connected with the Cromford and Erewash Canals. Its main purpose was the movement of coal from mines in the Erewash Valley to Nottingham. Opened in 1796, it was later acquired by the Great Northern Railway but, apart from the Nottingham-Lenton section (which was transferred to the Trent Navigation Company and, via its link with the Beeston Canal, remains in use today), it was abandoned in 1936.