This image cannot be used commercially
Nottingham Canal at Mill Lane, Cossall, 1984
2 September 1984
About this image
The disused canal looking north-west from Mill Lane with the landscaped spoil heap of Cossall Colliery (closed 1965) prominant on the right and Ilkeston Junction left of centre. Mill Lane formerly crossed the canal here on a swing bridge.
The Nottingham Canal extended from the River Trent at Nottingham in a generally north-westerly direction for 14.7 miles (23.6 kilometres) via Lenton, Radford, Wollaton, Trowell, Cossall, and Awsworth to Langley Mill where it connected with the Cromford and Erewash Canals. Its main purpose was the movement of coal from mines in the Erewash Valley to Nottingham. Opened in 1796, it was later acquired by the Great Northern Railway but, apart from the Nottingham-Lenton section (which was transferred to the Trent Navigation Company and, via its link with the Beeston Canal, remains in use today), it was abandoned in 1936.