About this image
Looking south above Coronation Road at Cossall Marsh showing two bridges constructed in 1958 to replace an original canal aqueduct at this point. The abandoned Nottingham Canal is to the left with the water being carried in pipes within a concrete superstructure, while the span in the foreground took a mineral line associated with Cossall Colliery (closed in 1965) over the road.
The Nottingham Canal extended from the River Trent at Nottingham in a generally north-westerly direction for 14.7 miles (23.6 kilometres) via Lenton, Radford, Wollaton, Trowell, Cossall, and Awsworth to Langley Mill where it connected with the Cromford and Erewash Canals. Its main purpose was the movement of coal from mines in the Erewash Valley to Nottingham. Opened in 1796, it was later acquired by the Great Northern Railway but, apart from the Nottingham-Lenton section (which was transferred to the Trent Navigation Company and, via its link with the Beeston Canal, remains in use today), it was abandoned in 1936.