About this image
Looking south and showing a surviving bridge over the abandoned canal. The Awsworth Bypass was subsequently constructed on an alignment between the canal and the bungalows in the background. The gabled dwelling on the skyline is the former Great Northern Railway stationmaster's house. This was part of Awsworth station, which opened in 1880 and closed in 1964.
The Nottingham Canal extended from the River Trent at Nottingham in a generally north-westerly direction for 14.7 miles (23.6 kilometres) via Lenton, Radford, Wollaton, Trowell, Cossall, and Awsworth to Langley Mill where it connected with the Cromford and Erewash Canals. Its main purpose was the movement of coal from mines in the Erewash Valley to Nottingham. Opened in 1796, it was later acquired by the Great Northern Railway but, apart from the Nottingham-Lenton section (which was transferred to the Trent Navigation Company and, via its link with the Beeston Canal, remains in use today), it was abandoned in 1936.