This image cannot be used commercially
Toll House on the Trent and Mersey Canal, Swarkestone, 1979
20 May 1979
Trent and Mersey Canal
About this image
Swarkestone Stop looking west towards Stenson with the former Trent and Mersey Canal bow-fronted toll house on the left and the rusting remains of a crane on the right.
The Trent and Mersey Canal runs for 93.5 miles (150.5 km) from the River Trent at Derwent Mouth near Shardlow (Derbyshire) to Preston Brook in Cheshire (where it links with the Bridgwater Canal). It was engineered by James Brindley and opened in 1777.
Subsequent to this view being taken, the toll house wss listed Grade II in 1980, while the crane was later restored and fitted with a new jib.