About this image
The site on the Market Place had been purchased in 1914 from the council. The Arcade premises opened in 1926 at a cost of £12,000. The design by the CWS architects department provided for the addition of a first floor which was added later. The imposing, long, partly arcaded frontage included a grocery, butchery, millinery department, fancy goods department and a pork department. In 1960 the whole building was modernised internally and externally. The food departments were retained on the ground floor, but the old entrance was taken out and a new one created. Inside, two arms of an imposing wooden staircase went up to the first floor where the fashion department was housed until 1963. In 1966 the Society opened the 'Countryman' restaurant on this floor.