This image can be used commercially
Chesterfield Canal north of Lockoford Lane, Tapton, Chesterfield, 1991
8 June 1991
About this image
Looking north-east on the Chesterfield Canal towards the girder bridge carrying the main Derby-Chesterfield-Sheffield railway line.
The Canal opened in 1777 and connected Chesterfield with the River Trent at West Stockwith via Worksop and Retford, a distance of 46 miles. The section from Chesterfield towards Worksop saw little or no use after the closure of the narrow and lengthy Norwood Tunnel on the Canal's summit level in 1908 (as a result of damage from mining subsidence) but Tapton Mill to Staveley remained reasonably intact to provide a water supply for the iron-making and chemical plants at Staveley Works.
The Chesterfield Canal Trust has long term plans to reopen the canal all the way from its terminus at Chesterfield to the present head of navigation at the eastern end of Norwood Tunnel at Kiveton Park. Between 1989 and 2012 reinstatement of the length from Tapton to Staveley was completed in stages with this particular section finished in 1995. Preparatory work is in evidence here with the channel having been cleared of reeds and dredged.