This image can be used commercially
Peak Forest Canal basin, Buxworth, 1990
7 September 1990
About this image
Buxworth Basin was the eastern terminus of the Peak Forest Canal where limestone and lime from the quarries in the Dove Holes area was loaded into narrowboats. The connection to the quarries was via the Peak Forest Tramroad, a horse-worked plateway that was in operation from 1796 until the mid-1920s. The canal basin and the eastern arm from Bridgemont (the southern arm terminated at Whaley Bridge) thereafter fell into disuse but from 1968 underwent a long period of restoration, culminating in their reopening to boats in 2005. The basin has been a Scheduled Ancient Monument since 1977.
This view, taken during the restoration period, is looking east from the Lower to the Middle Basins and shows the reinstated footbridges connecting the different wharves. In the background excavators can be seen clearing the silted up and largely dry canal bed. To the right an assemblage of old railway vehicles are in use by the restorers, these include a wooden container that would have been carried on a four-wheeled wagon and used for furniture removals or similar, a Great Western Railway designed 'Siphon G' general purpose van, and a 1960s style Freightliner container (with the word 'Freightliner' blacked out).