This image can be used commercially
Peak Forest Canal basin, Buxworth, 1990
7 September 1990
About this image
Buxworth Basin was the eastern terminus of the Peak Forest Canal where limestone and lime from the quarries in the Dove Holes area was loaded into narrowboats. The connection to the quarries was via the Peak Forest Tramroad, a horse-worked plateway that was in operation from 1796 until the mid-1920s. The canal basin and the eastern arm from Bridgemont (the southern arm terminated at Whaley Bridge) thereafter fell into disuse but from 1968 underwent a long period of restoration, culminating in their reopening to boats in 2005. The basin has been a Scheduled Ancient Monument since 1977.
This view, taken during the restoration period, shows the Upper Basin and is looking east with the course of the Peak Forest Tramroad disappearing into the distance. The pillar in the foreground is the remains of a wharf crane while the wharves in the middle of the picture were once contained within a large stone warehouse, long since demolished. The recently constructed Chapel-en-le-Frith Bypass can be glimpsed in the right background.