This image cannot be used commercially
Shaft Marker Stone at the back of Granby School, 1974
Back of Granby School
About this image
This was an engine pit which sent its coal by tram road to the Erewash Canal at the bottom of Slack Pool. It was only capped when it was abandoned and the capping fell in one night in 1910 when this marker was put up.
Text on stone reads; PIT SHAFT COVERED IN CONCRETE 1910