This image cannot be used commercially
Looking North Bath Street, Ilkeston, c 1920
About this image
Rutland Arms Hotel to the left and Heanor Road in the centre at the rear. (Copy of 'Arcadian postcard, Ref FAP A405/1134.)
The Rutland Hotel, now demolished, was built around 1820 and was a stop for the Sheffield to Nottingham stagecoach known as the speculator. When the railway arrived in the 1840s, the hotel expanded and publicans such as Thomas hives provided additional accommodation and entertainment for visitors to the adjacent spa baths.
Extract from the 'Ilkeston and District Local History Society'