This image cannot be used commercially
St John the Baptist Churchyard, Staveley
About this image
Showing a pathway leading from he church to Staveley Hall. The earliest parts of the Parish Church date to the 13th century (tower and lancet window), but is has been renovated in subsequent centuries. The north aisle was added in 1865-9 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The church holds many monuments and tombs of the Frecheville Family, the local lords of the manor. Staveley Hall was built in c 1604 and was acquired by the Frecheville Family in 1681. It later became the rectory attached to the church. The rectory was partially demolished in the early 19th century, and remodelled in a jacobean style by Scott in 1867. The building is now used as District Council Offices.