About this image
The Staveley Company had by the 1920's a very extensive power grid network supplying its own collieries, works, housing, local companies and local authorities needs. The Power department of the Staveley Coal & Iron Company was able to supply annually around 54 million kilowatt hours of energy, with an average load factor of around sixty percent. It also used several steam drives to provide motive power at the collieries for winding. The electricity was generated at the Devonshire works at Staveley, producing 6.6kv at 30 cycles and 22kv at 50 cycles after transformation for the grid feeder cables. The generation was 25,500 kw alternating current and 1,500kw direct current. A 1,500kw and a 1,200kw, mixed-pressure turbo-alternator at Markham and Warsop respectively added to the network supply. The power was generated as a result of utilising waste steam, burning waste gasses from blast furnaces and the raising of steam from burning low grade fuels. Pipes and Woodwool were also produced here.