This image cannot be used commercially
Elevated view of the junction between Wheatbridge Road, Boythorpe Road and West Bars, Chesterfield,
About this image
Elevated view looking east from the former Brampton Brewery (closed in 1955 and demolished in 1984) with Wheatbridge Road in the foreground and Boythorpe Road coming in from the right. West Bars continues into the left distance with the Town Hall, St Mary's Church and the Market Hall all visible beyond. The building site in the centre was previously the goods yard (closed in 1957) belonging to Chesterfield Market Place station - at this date it was being redeveloped as the Post Office's new AGD (Accounts General Department) / Chetwynd House complex (built 1961-2 and itself demolished in 1997). The River Hipper is just visible at bottom right. The area in the foreground later became the site of the West Bars traffic island.