This image cannot be used commercially
Chesterfield Corporation motor bus 221, New Beetwell Street, Chesterfield, c 1970 ?
c 1970 ?
New Beetwell Street
About this image
Chesterfield Corporation double-deck motor bus number 221 on New Beetwell Street. This Leyland Titan PD2/20 double-decker (registration 221 GRA) featured a Weymann Highbridge body with an open platform and was one of a batch of six such vehicles acquired new in 1958. It is seem here on service 38 to St Augustines, the starting point (and terminus) for which was just a little further back on New Beetwell Street, near what was then Chesterfield's postal sorting office.
The building to the right was purpose built and opened as the British Restaurant around 1948-49, eventually being taken over as a government department some years later - the begining of the word 'MINISTRY' can be seen above the windows.
Picture the Past is grateful to website contributor R S Bower for some of the information recorded above.