About this image
Now known as Ashgate House (not to be confused with Ashgate House, now Ashgate Hospice, on the opposite side of the road). It was the home of colliery owner Alfred Barnes and his four sons from c 1870 to the 1940s. The house was not part of the property purchased originally by John Barnes in the 18th century, but was purchased c 1860 by Alfred Barnes, who was Managing Director of Grassmoor Colliery. The building was considerably enlarged by him in the early 1870s, when a dining room, bedroom, and stables were added. Further extensions were made by his three sons, Alfred Thomas Holland Barnes, Edwin Clay Barnes, and Ernest Edmund Barnes, in the period 1913-14, and the brothers continued to occupy the house until the death of Edwin Clay Barnes in 1941. After the war it became a maternity hospital, and is now a nursing home. (Additional information kindly supplied by Lesley Phillips).