This image can be used commercially
Stephenson Memorial, Corporation Street, Chesterfield, 2001
About this image
The Stephenson Memorial Hall is on the left next to the theatre.
The Stephenson Memorial Hall was built by Messrs Chadwick and Co, Architects - Smith and Woodhouse of Manchester. It was opened on 14th July 1879 by the Duke of Devonshire. It cost £13,734 of which £8,123 was raised by public subscription. The hall had a public hall and public library and reading room, laboratory, lecture hall, rooms for science and art classes and rooms for the Institute of Mining, Civil and Mechanical Engineers. Stephenson Memorial Hall was named in honour of the inventor George Stephenson, who lived and was buried in Chesterfield.