This image can be used commercially
Vestry doorway, Holy Trinity Church, 31 Newbold Road, Chesterfield, 1947
R Wilsher, Photographer
About this image
The parish of Holy Trinity was formed in 1867 and was originally part of the parish of St Mary & All Saints.
The church was built in 1838 as a Chapel of Ease on land to the north-east end of the town, provided by William 6th Duke of Devonshire. It was licensed for baptisms and burials in 1838 and for marriages in 1853.
The remains of the great railway engineer, George Stephenson, who died on the 12th August 1848 lie beneath the altar, where a slab now hidden from view, simply bears his initials G S.
In later years a memorial slab was laid in front of the altar with the inscription 'George Stephenson, 1781-1848, Railway Pioneer. First President of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.' His name was also added to the wall memorial to his wife who had died in 1846, and the East Window was given to his memory.