This image cannot be used commercially
Bandstand, Queen's Park, Chesterfield, 1978
Courtesy of Derbyshire Times
About this image
This is the third bandstand. Built in 1922 to replace an original wooden structure which was demolished in 1919. The temporary second bandstand was removed to Brearley Park. Text taken from the Derbyshire Times newspaper on 27th January 1978 reads: 'A monument to Victorian generosity - the bandstand in Queen's Park, Chesterfield. The Mayor, Mr T P Wood, was made an honorary Freeman of the Borough for his work to establish the park - and was voted a commemorative silver casket by grateful townsfolk. But he ruled that the money should be used to build a bandstand in the Park - and it became the centre for regular band concerts for decades.'