This image can be used commercially
The Angel Hotel and Scarsdale and High Peak Bank c 1890
High Street - Glumangate - Market Place
About this image
On the left is part of the Angel Hotel' (now the site of the Post Office), this was one of the oldest inns in Chesterfield. It closed when stage coaches were introduced and more stables were required. Freemasons would hold meetings here. There was a banqueting room used by the council for events. The hotel closed in 1915 and used by the Red Cross as a waste paper depot. It was destroyed by fire in 1917 and the ruins demolished in 1926 to make way for the Post Office. On the corner is the Scarsdale and High Peak Bank, this is now the site of the National Westminster Bank.