This image can be used commercially
Low Pavement -Tontine Road
About this image
Showing the newly built Tontine Road (right) -building commenced on 18 February 1914. The Three Tuns Inn was demolished c 1913 to make way for the new road. After the road was built new spacious premises were built on the same site and opened in 1937, making a large corner shop. Barker's were drapers and milliners established in the 1880's and eventually closed in 1953 after over 70 years of trading. Fred Barker started the business and Ernest Arthur Barker (son?) was the last of the family at the shop - he was a local councillor for West Ward. The shop subsequently became a furniture shop (Hardy's).