About this image
This is the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway Station. The LDECR was the largest railway scheme ever approved by Parliament in a single session. The Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast Railway (LDECR) was conceived to haul from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire collieries to the east coast ports, but would eventually only reach Pyewipe. Located west of Lincoln, Pyewipe Junction connected the LDECR to the Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint Line. Coal was then carried to Grimsby over the GNR and Manchester Sheffield & Lincoln Railway (MS&LR). The MS&LR also had direct links to many of the LDECR source collieries, and the resulting competition resulted in less than perfect relations between the MS&LR and the LDECR. Their relationship improved from 1900, and in 1907 the Great Central Railway (ex- MS&LR) absorbed the LDECR.