This image can be used commercially
Derbyshire Yeomanry going to training camp (near Retford ?)
C H Nadin, Photographer
Nadin, C H
About this image
The Derbyshire Yeomanry underwent significant training at Retford in this year, and so were possibly en-route to the Retford Camp (although it has been suggested that they were going to camp at Brewery Meadows). The Derbyshire Yeomanry was first formed as the Derbyshire Regiment of Fencible Cavalry on 22 October 1794, in response to the threatened French invasion. The outbreak of the South African War in 1899 signalled the Regiment's first major action and as part of The Imperial Yeomanry they fought with distinction and were awarded their first battle honour. In 1900 the Imperial Yeomanry volunteers were authorised by Royal Warrant for service in the Second Anglo-Boer War. The first Contingent companies of volunteers (10,242 men) formed throughout UK for 12 months service; some were newly raised, and others (one third) were sponsored by part-time Yeomanry Cavalry regiments which were not liable for overseas service. The Derbyshire volunteers served in the 4th Battalion, the 8th and 104th coys. In 1908 they became The Derbyshire Yeomanry (Dragoons).