About this image
To the right is the rear of the Zion Church which was built on the site of the Horse Tram sheds in 1904. The houses in the background are on Alma Street. There are real gypsy horse-drawn caravans camping in the yard of the Bold Rodney public house.
This is the site of the Brampton Feast which usually took place in the last week of July and the first week of August. This was the fortnight's holiday for most workers in Brampton, and was also part of the school holidays, so both adults and children could go to the fair. Apart from coconut shies, roll-a-penny and hoop-la there was a stall selling white sticky toffee that was stretched into long strips and then cut off for the children to eat. These toffee strips cost 1d a bag. Other attractions were the rides, especially the 'dragons' (dragon-shaped carriages with seats inside), swingboats and a cakewalk. Later on Dodgem cars were used. Brampton Feast was a big holiday event for local people, who would dress up for the occasion. This was not a good idea if you were visiting the fair, as the 'Bold Rodney' yard was covered with ashes.
The showman was Harry Hall of Derby -in 1939 he bought a Showmans engine called Lord Kitchener (this engine was diverted when new to the Boer War). He also had another Showmans engine called the Whale which drove a set of Whale roundabouts. Brampton Feast came to an end in the 1950s.