This image can be used commercially
Market Place, Chesterfield
About this image
This view shows the Cattle Market in the Market Place before the New Cattle Market opened on 5th July 1900. Also shown on High Street is the Star Hotel, kept at about this time by a Mr Hadfield. Westminster Bank bas since occupied this site. On the opposite side of Glumangate is Scales and Salter's Boot Shop. Close to them is Armisteads and more recently the Wheat Sheaf and T P Woods. On the left of the Market Hall is Lowes, late Heywoods and on the right a provision merchant (Nash?). The old pump looks to be almost on High Street, higher up Market Place than it appears today.