This image can be used commercially
Newbold Village from Highfield Lane, Newbold, Chesterfield, c 1905 ?
About this image
Looking north-east along Newbold Village towards Littlemoor from the junction with Highfield Lane. The man with the handcart is Oscar Hardy, an ice cream seller, while further down the road on the right, beyond what may be a coal cart, is Frearson's fruit shop.
Prior to Newbold being absorbed into suburban Chesterfield after World War Two, the section of road seen here was simply known as Newbold Village and the properties flanking it were (and still are) so numbered by the Post Office in a separate series from those applied to houses coming out of Chesterfield on Newbold Road, which were in the 260s by the time Newbold itself was reached.
Newbold Village extends from a point south-east of the scene here (to the left) as far as the site of Newbold House (demolished), close to the present day junction with Loundsley Green Road. Today, the house numbering is more confused with some new build properties on Newbold Village having been inadvertantly numbered as a continuation of the Newbold Road series, while Newbold Village tends not to be named as such on modern maps or street signs, despite remaining a legitimate postal address.
Picture the Past is grateful to website contributor Carole Kitchener for some of the information above.