About this image
This view shows the Victoria Hotel, built by William Glossop in 1888 and housing hos Solicitor's business. The remaining part of the building was leased to the Duncan Gilmour brewery until 1937. The previous building on the site was the 'Bay Horse' Inn, later renamed the 'Woolpack'. Glossop bought it from the Duke of Devonshire in 1884. The building to the left is the 'Exchange Inn', formerly the 'Hospital Inn' which closed in 1909. On the very left is a blacksmith's shop dated 1630. The theatre poster is for the Sheffield Empire -top of the bill were the 'Rossow Midgets' (The Rossow Midgets would box three rounds to a knockout. Charley Rossow afterwards appeared in little girl's garb and sang songs). To the right of the Victoria Hotel is Thompson's Grocers shop. All these buildings were demolished in 1969-70.