This image cannot be used commercially
The Angel Hotel, 1902
Chesterfield Photographic Society
About this image
Now the Post Office, this was one of the oldest inns in Chesterfield. It closed when stage coaches were introduced and more stables were required. Freemasons would hold meetings here. There was a banqueting room used by the council for events. The hotel closed in 1915 and used by the Red Cross as a waste paper depot. It was destroyed by fire in 1917 and the ruins demolished in 1926 to make way for the Post Office and Westminster Bank. See DCCC000746.