This image can be used commercially
Burlington Street c.1900
About this image
See DCCC000542 and DCCC000543. Taken before the tramlines were laid. The buildings seen here are mostly 19th Century, (apart from the building in front of the church which was demolished before the tramlines were built) and some at the far end still stand. Burtons and Swallows redeveloped in the early 1930's. The beehive symbol is thought to have been used by Swallows when they occupied the shop on the south side. This was Swallows first shop started by J. K. Swallow in c.1862. In the 1870's another drapery business was started by Peter Murphy in the Beehive premises and this business continued until the 1920's. In the 1940's it was a furniture shop and then later demolished.