About this image
The Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway ran from this station to Lincoln. It was taken over in 1907 by the Great Central Railway. The line was closed in 1957. It was built on the site known as Maynard's Nottingham, The Meadows. The plan was to run trains from Warrington to Sutton-on-Sea but, because of financial problems, only the Chesterfield/Lincoln section was completed. The line ran coal trains as well as passenger trains. The last passenger train ran on 3rd December 1951 but the line remained open to freight trains until 4th March 1957.