About this image
Originally built in c.1500 as a guildhall for the Guild of the Blessed Mary, the most important medieval guild in the town. It was originally larger than the surviving building of today. By the 1680s, it had been subdivided and used as two dwelling houses, occupied by a merchant (Wheldon) and Thomas Bretland, Mayor of Chesterfield. After many changes it opened as a public house, ' The Sign of the Peacock', in 1829. In 1880, it was owned by Brampton Brewery. It was restored in 1980 by Chesterfield Borough Council. See also DCCC000055 and DCCC000057.