About this image
The Bowden family once lived in Southgate house. The family seat here can be traced back to Henry Bowden who lived at a house here before his death in 1665. Southgate house remained in the family till sold as part of 23 lots, including farms and cottages, by Lt-Col W Butler-Bowden. From 1901 to 1950 Roman Catholic worshippers met in a little chapel at Southgate House (built originally as the private chapel for its catholic owners), it was later requisitioned during the 2nd World War as barracks for cavalry, a POW camp. It finally became The Van Dyk Hotel and Garden Centre.