About this image
Looking east at the viaduct on the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway Line. Markland Grips viaduct carried the Beighton -Killamarsh -Clowne -Creswell -Langwith Junction branch of the LDECR. Showing the patterns of the bridge arches in place. Whether they have been put in to provide extra support or whether they remained in place from building is not known. (see also DCHQ000026 for another picture of the bridge showing the supports and reinforcing). The Viaduct has since been demolished and the line is now disused, only the concrete tunnel remains. The 'Grips', as they are known locally, are a network of valleys bounded by cliffs near to the village of Clowne. In the cliff sides are several fissures and small caves. Leslie Armstrong investigated a number of these sites in 1924, although it is not always clear from his note books which sites he did excavate. One interesting site was The Sepulchral Cave or Bone Cave. Buried within the cave Armstrong found the remains of several people enclosed by a wall of limestone blocks. Radiocarbon dates and pottery found with the burials show that these were deposited during the early Neolithic. This evidence is part of a growing amount of information that early farmers settled in the Creswell area and used the caves to dispose of their dead.